Our On-going Commitment: Moivaro Primary School
Moivaro Primary School is a government-funded school where nearly 1,000 children from the surrounding villages attend Grades 1 to 7. In fact, a number of The Vijiji Center staff attended Moivaro, and one of our fathers taught there for 50 years, so it holds a special place in our hearts and minds. The school also has a program for approximately 50 special needs children.
The Vijiji Foundation started working with Moivaro in 2013. Since then, through cooperation with many generous international partners, we have successfully:
- Planted vegetable gardens for the school lunch program and to teach the children about bio-intensive and organic farming practices; Global Seminar Program, University of British Columbia, Canada.
- Refurbished a series of classrooms, including painting walls, pouring cement floors, and adding news windows; Pymble Ladies’ College, Australia and the Global Seminar Program, University of British Columbia, Canada.
- Created and printed English/Swahili storybooks to help students in English-language learning; Go Global Seminar Program, University of British Columbia, Canada.
- Constructed new washrooms with running water to replace the existing ones which lacked water and were nearly 40 years old. Silver Star Rotary Club, Vernon, British Columbia and the Global Seminar Program, University of British Columbia, Canada.
- Provided 40 new wooden desks to create more seating for the classrooms; TES The School in Africa, Denmark (www.tesdenmark.com).
- Provided electricity to the Main Office and purchased new computers and a printer for Moivaro staff; Pymble Ladies’ College, Australia.